Roblox is an immensely popular online platform that allows users to create and play games created by other users. However, like any software, it occasionally encounters issues. One such error message states, “Incompatible software has prevented ROBLOX from running.” If you’re seeing this message, it’s likely due to a virus or malware on your computer, and it needs immediate attention.
Understanding the explorer.exe and svchost.exe Error
This particular error message might pop up with a file path that leads to “C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\explorer.exe”. Typically, this path isn’t associated with explorer.exe, suggesting that a virus or malware is disguising itself as a legitimate program. The incorrect path is a red flag indicating that your computer might be compromised.
Steps to Fix the Error
When confronted with this issue, it’s important to act quickly to prevent further damage. Here’s what you should do:
- Secure your files: As a first step, stop using your computer and back up any critical files to an external drive or cloud storage. It ensures you don’t lose any valuable information during the cleanup process.
- Reformat your computer: The next step is to reformat your computer. It’s a drastic measure, but it guarantees the complete removal of the virus or malware. Remember, all data on your computer will be erased during the reformatting process, so make sure all crucial data is backed up.
To avoid encountering such issues in the future, adhere to the following guidelines:
- Download from trusted sources: Always download software and other files from reputable, trusted sources. Pirated or cracked software often comes bundled with malicious software that can compromise your computer’s security.
- Keep your software updated: Regularly updating your software, including your operating system, can patch vulnerabilities and offer better protection against threats.
- Install firewall and antivirus software: A good firewall and antivirus software can provide a robust defense against potential threats. Though, Windows 11 pre-installed “Microsoft Defender” is already good enough.
- Practice safe browsing: Be cautious while browsing the internet, especially when clicking on links in emails or on unfamiliar websites.
Alternative Solutions: Using Antivirus Software
If you’re hesitant to reformat your computer especially to those who own a computer shop where it is uncontrollable what program are installed, another viable solution is to use a reputable antivirus software like Avast. Antivirus software is designed to detect, prevent, and remove malicious software from your computer, including the one causing this Roblox error.
Here are the steps on how to use an antivirus program to fix the problem:
- Download and install antivirus software: Download Avast, or any trusted antivirus software of your choice, from the official website. Install it on your computer following the instructions provided by the software.
- Run a full system scan: Once installed, run a full system scan. This process will allow the antivirus software to go through every file on your computer to find and identify any threats. The duration of the scan will depend on the number of files you have.
- Address the identified threats: After the scan, the antivirus program will provide a list of potential threats found on your computer. Make sure to remove or quarantine the threats. Avast, for instance, will give you the option to “Resolve” the threats it found. Click on it.
- Restart your computer: After resolving all the issues, restart your computer. This will ensure all changes made by the antivirus program take effect.
After completing these steps, try running Roblox again. If the antivirus program successfully removed the virus or malware, Roblox should run without displaying the error message.
The error message “Incompatible software has prevented ROBLOX from running” could also refer to the file svchost.exe. While this is a legitimate Windows file, it can be exploited by viruses or malware. Should this error message appear, follow the same steps outlined above.
If you’re uncomfortable addressing these issues on your own, consider seeking professional help. Many computer repair shops have the expertise to handle such problems and can ensure your computer is virus-free.